In science, children will learn about how things work including living things. This will include elements of physics, chemistry and biology throughout each key stage.
Each topic has key learning points, which are identified as ‘take aways’ in planning. This is to ensure depth of learning is secure in science and that there is progression in each year group and within each topic.
‘Working scientifically’ is at the heart of science and children will learn to investigate and to develop their knowledge through observation and enquiry. They will gain an understanding of simple tests that they can do and how to use results to draw conclusions.
Scientific knowledge is based on facts which children will be taught alongside developing the scientific vocabulary needed to support their learning.
Working Scientifically at Preston Primary
There are three aims in the English primary science curriculum, to ensure that all pupils:
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
- develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
- are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
In order for primary school children to operate as successful scientists, we believe they should be taught a wide range of essential enquiry skills. These skills should build upon earlier opportunities they have had to play, explore, create, engage in active learning, and think critically in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
The skills that are embedded in our Science teaching throughout school are
- Asking questions
- Observing and measuring
- Planning and setting up different types of enquiries
- Identifying and classifying
- Performing tests
- Gathering and recording data
- Using equipment
- Reporting, presenting and communicating data/findings
At Preston Primary school we follow the National Curriculum when teaching science.https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-science-programmes-of-study/national-curriculum-in-england-science-programmes-of-study
Preston Primary School Science Progression
Useful Science Links